Does what you delight in Please God?
Dreaming of Death and Delight
I recently had a dream where I was surrounded by water. Suddenly a tidal wave crashed over me, plunging me deep into a watery abyss, cut off from the breath of life. In my dream, I knew I was about to drown, so I was about to die. I thought of things I had intended to do, but never got around to. In my final moments, I asked God’s forgiveness of His tasks I had left undone, naming them one by one.
As often happens in life threatening dreams, I did not die. Instead, I was suddenly standing by the water’s edge on a beautiful green field of grass, under a clear blue sky. The field sloped gently up away from the water, and I saw a small house nearby. A man was walking from it, coming toward me, holding a young girl’s hand.
The man introduced me to the girl, saying her name is “Delight.” Her smiling face beamed as she looked up at me, took my hand, and filled me with delight. Then I awoke from my dream, realizing something had been missing from my life.
I have long believed in the importance of gratitude, focusing on the positive, and giving thanks to God for everything, knowing that all things work together for good to those who love Him. But delight, rejoicing, and true joy seemed to escape me.
I wanted to hold onto that dream, but I slowly awoke. In the sleepy twilight of my growing awareness, I thought about the dream and what, if anything, I delighted in.
My dreamy consciousness informed me that I delight in:
- Learning, growing, and teaching
- Gaining new insights, and better understanding of God and His creation, through Bible study and meditating on God’s Word
- Clearly communicating the truth of God’s Word in simple and easy to understand ways
- Inspiring others to delight in God and trust in His Word, Jesus Christ (John 1) by helping them understand truth revealed in the Bible
- Growing in wisdom, by gaining better understanding (through science, engineering, and general study as well as the Bible) of how things work in this world
- Helping others live more wisely by sharing any wisdom God has granted me
- Becoming more like Christ
- Being surrounded by other Bible believing children of God who love our Savior, Jesus Christ
- Solving problems, and helping others by those solutions
- And of course, spending time with family (most of the time)
There are many other things I enjoy and am grateful for, but these are the things in which I truly delight.
But that is me; how about you? If you had a dream like this, what would your dreamy awareness tell you?
What David Delighted In
The Bible describes David as a man after God’s own heart (1 Samuel 13:14; Acts 13:22). God used David in many ways. David was a good king and a mighty warrior who God used to unify Israel and expand their boarders. Humanly, our Lord Jesus Christ was born through the lineage of David. David was also the sweet psalmist of Israel. God used David to pen scripture.
So, what delighted this Godly king and prophet? Fortunately, we have David’s own words to tell us:
- Psalm 40:8 I delight to do Thy will, O my God: yea, Thy law is within my heart.
- Psalm 119:16 I will delight myself in Thy statutes: I will not forget Thy word.
- Psalm 119:24 Thy testimonies also are my delight and my counsellors.
- Psalm 119:35 Make me to go in the path of Thy commandments; for therein do I delight.
- Psalm 119:47 And I will delight myself in Thy commandments, which I have loved.
- Psalm 119:70 Their heart is as fat as grease; but I delight in Thy law.
- Psalm 119:77 Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live: for Thy law is my delight.
- Psalm 119:92 Unless Thy law had been my delights, I should then have perished in mine affliction.
- Psalm 119:174 I have longed for thy salvation, O LORD; and Thy law is my delight.
According to Psalm 119, David delighted in the Word of God. And Psalm 40:8 informs us that David delighted in doing God’s will.
What God Delights In
Have you ever wondered what delights God? If you want to please God, then you should care about what pleases Him. Fortunately, God tells us what delights Him in His Word, the Bible.
- Prov 11:1 A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is His delight.
- Prov 11:20 They that are of a froward heart are abomination to the LORD: but such as are upright in their way are His delight.
- Prov 12:22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are His delight.
- Prov 15:8 The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright is His delight.
- Jer 9:24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth Me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
God delights in truth, honesty, justice, righteousness, lovingkindness / mercy, and the prayer of the upright.
God blesses those who delight in Him, and in His Word.
- Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
- Psalm 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in His law doth he meditate day and night.
- Psalm 37:3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
- Psalm 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
- Psalm 37:5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass.
God blesses those who avoid the counsel and presence of the wicked, but who instead delight in His Word. God blesses those who trust Him, delight in Him, and commit their ways to Him.
What do you delight in?
Does it Please God?
If you found this helpful, Please SHARE it
If you liked this, you may also like